Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 24, 2011

No crying basketball, former NBA player blogs about the Heats

 
A couple weeks ago, my high school team lost in the CIF San Diego Finals to our biggest rival. Man, that hurts to say, but I have to say it again. Torrey Pines High School lost to La Costa Canyon. Sucks. Someone tweeted to me that it was the first time we had been back to the finals since my junior year, when we beat San Diego High only to get whooped by Upland High in the state playoffs.
My senior year, we didn’t get the chance to play for the championship, losing in the semis to our other rival, Carlsbad High. For some reason, major portions of this game are a blur to me. I think we had a good lead… Maybe. I’m pretty sure the game was played at Mira Mesa High, or was it Serra? I feel like I was unhappy because I didn’t get the ball like I thought I deserved towards the end of the game, but even that seems blurry. Did it really go like that, or is this just me doing what every athlete does by finding some reason to justify the loss and blame everyone else? I’m honestly not sure at all. It was like nine years ago. Coddamn, I’m old.
The only thing that I do remember with 100 percent certainty was that every single starter in the locker room was crying – except me.
I sat on the wooden bench of the locker room, after my final game of high school, and watched as everyone else broke down into tears. A couple guys were really sobbing. One guy was doing that kind of hiccup like thing where it seems like you’re perpetually trying to catch your breath from crying too hard. I guess I was too angry from the game, or maybe it was because I had only played one season of varsity, or maybe I was just a disconnected jerk who was looking ahead to his days in the Pac-10, but there was not a tear from dropping down my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment