Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2011

Kevin Love’s double-double streak is dead. Long live the streak



Kevin Love's streak of 53 straight double-doubles ended on Sunday night, as his Minnesota Timberwolves fell to the lowly Golden State Warriors. Love, who led the NBA in rebounding at 15.7 per game (alongside his 20.7 points per game average) managed "just" 12 caroms and six points in the loss. Afterwards, Love was eager for the fresh start.
From the AP:
"Now I can start focusing on playing my game," said Love after being held to six points and 12 rebounds in the Timberwolves' 100-77 loss to the Golden State Warriors on Sunday. "I thought I was doing it for myself but a lot of it was for the fans and everybody watching. I feel a big weight off my shoulders."
While you can quibble with the idea that a player averaging nearly 21 and 16 per contest can now focus on playing his game, understand that it can't be easy to take in embarrassing near-nightly standing ovations from home fans after securing a double-double, while the scoreboard reads 72-58 in the other team's favor. Through no fault of his own, Love's Timberwolves are a mess, and I don't doubt the guy for a second as the All-Star embraces relative anonymity.
What I have to quibble with is the media's reaction to his history-making turn. No, not the media that pointed out that the mark of 53 was the highest since the merger that joined the ABA and NBA in 1976, but the media that reacted to that qualification.

No comments:

Post a Comment